Tamales are delicious parcels of corn dough that have been treated in lime and steamed with various types of fillings, typically in corn husks or banana leaves. It is a traditional Latin American dish that has been around for 9000 years and was served and eaten by the ancient Mayans during rituals. Today, they are eaten during special occasions in Latin America.
Tamales Mexicanos en Singapur (TMS) is proud to bring this unique dish to Singapore and make it readily available throughout the year. The duo behind TMS is a Mexican-Malay married couple and they lovingly make the tamales by hand. The recipe for the tamales was handed down through the generations in Mexico but have been tweaked by TMS to ensure that the ingredients used are from halal sources.
TMS has been featured in TimeOut Singapore in 2019 and again in 2020. TMS recently collaborated with the Mexican Embassy of Singapore in 2020 as part of the Mexican Independence Day celebrations, together with 8 other Mexican restaurants as representatives of authentic Mexican gastronomy in Singapore.
A bento box containing the following:
- 1 choice of tamal
- Mexican rice
- Refried chipotle beans
- Pico de gallo
Choice of chicken tamales are:
- Salsa verde (spicy green tomatillo sauce)
- Tinga (spicy red chipotle sauce)
- Molé (traditional Mexican sauce made of chiles, chocolate, peanut, banana and other spices)
- Pibil (traditional Mexican sauce of orange juice, anatto seeds, tomato and chile)
- Classic chicken (special blend of Mexican chile and spices)
Vegetarian tamales are:
- Rajas (Panela cheese, chipotle chile, tomato and green peppers)
- Coriander potato mint
Vegan tamales are:
- Chipotle beans
- Mango edamame (spicy and sweet)
- Date, tamarind and tofu.